ADSM-L

session queueing

2000-03-04 03:43:41
Subject: session queueing
From: Agent Tatum <josh AT TRON.X25 DOT NET>
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2000 02:43:41 -0600
Hello All-

What server parameters are used to determine how long a session waits for
a tape head?  We have several client systems that are backing (via cron-
no scheduler) to an ADSM server (3.1.2.40) in one of our locations where
the clients wait for a tapehead to free up and then do their backups.  In
another location, the client systems also using cron appear to timeout if
all of the tapeheads on the server (3.1.2.54) are busy.  The error
messages showing up in the activity log are:

ANR8447E No drives are currently available in library 3494LIB
ANR1401E Mount request denied for volume A00088- mount failed

We are using disk storage pools at both locations for files smaller than
51MB but the backups that are hanging are all much larger than 51MB.  The
"MOUNTLIMIT" is set to "DRIVES" in the working location and "4" (the
number of drives) in the one that is not queueing the sessions (we
previously had this set to "DRIVES" at the non-working location but it
made no difference in the queueing).  The "idletimeout" parameter is set
to "120" in the working location and "60" in the non-working location.
The activity log is showing the error message immediately after the
clients are connecting- they are not reaching the 60 minutes.
"MAXSESSIONS" is set to "75" on the working ADSM server and "25" on the
non-working system- we arent coming near either of these numbers on either
system.  Any ideas as to why the client sessions would wait for a tapehead
in one location and not the other?

Sometimes poet, sometimes hacker
Living the life of a burned out slacker
Bye