ADSM-L

Understanding Expire

2015-10-04 17:32:29
Subject: Understanding Expire
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Our ADSM adminstrator has all systems being backed up using the same
configuration listed below:
  Versions Data Exists: 90
  Versions Data Deleted: 90
  Retain Extra Versions: Unlimited
  Retain Only Version: Unlimited

Ninety versions seems extreme for both but unlimited for "Retain Only
Version" is a great waste of tapes.  However, admin has not been doing any
archives.

If "Retain Only Version" is set to 30 days and "Versions Data Deleted" is
set to 1 does that mean as soon as a file is deleted:
  - All versions expect the last are removed when expire runs and the last
one is removed after 30 days?

It seems then to fine tune the ADSM back up parameters we have to look as
backups and archives at the same time.

Randy
wawork AT hotmail DOT com
(Just trying to understand everything.)