ADSM-L

Tivoli Data Protection for Workgroups vs. Stac Replica

2015-10-04 17:32:29
Subject: Tivoli Data Protection for Workgroups vs. Stac Replica
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
  Do I understand correctly that Tivoli Data Protection for Workgroups is
designed to provide fast backup and recovery for Windows environments as
well as 'bare metal restore'?
  I am having a discussion with an associate about Stac Replica and 'bare
metal restore'. It seems that BMR is required here. It looks like the only
advantage Stac Replica might have is that it will retain only one copy of a
given file no matter how many images of that same file exist in the
environment. That is, if you and I both have the same file, DSMADMC.EXE on
our systems, the backup service will only keep one copy if they are in fact
the same.
  Is this feature available, coming or never going to be in TSM? Could Stac
Replica be used in conjunction with TSM to minimize network traffic? I am
thinking that Stac Replica could be used to 'filter' data in a small area
and use TSM to backup the Replica server? Any experience with this?
Pro's/Con's?

TIA
John G. Talafous                         Sr. Tech. Prog/Anal
The Timken Company                 Phone: (330)-471-3390
P.O. Box 6927                           Fax  : (330)-471-4034
1835 Dueber Ave. S.W.
Canton, Ohio USA  44706-0927
talafous AT timken DOT com                  http://www.timken.com/