ADSM-L

Re: HSM disaster!

2000-03-01 12:10:10
Subject: Re: HSM disaster!
From: Henk ten Have <hthta AT SARA DOT NL>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 18:10:10 +0100
Michael,

>stubfiles, that's fine. When your HSM environment on the server crashes
>you're quite dead, that's not fine...

Not at all....we were indeed not amused....

>I think both methods have their advantages. When one of my servers crashes
>and has to get replaced, the new one will be larger than the old one.
>Probably all HSM data will fit on the new machine.

Hmm, our HSM data in IRIX is now more then 700GB, and still growing fast,
I don't think this ever will fit on a new machine (i.e. filesystem).
And even thinking about that will make you crazy: ever thought about
the time it will cost to restore 700 or more Gbyte data?

Cheers,
Henk.