ADSM-L

Export MVS - Import NT Can it be done?

2000-02-28 14:34:43
Subject: Export MVS - Import NT Can it be done?
From: Kyle Payne <payne AT BERBEE DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 13:34:43 -0600
ADSMers,

        Is there any way to export a node from MVS and then import it into NT?

        Both ADSM servers are at V3.1.2.40.  I am using 9840 drives with both
systems.  When you just do an export and then import you get the ANR9999D
error "Invalid block header read from volume".   I called support and they
mentioned that the device drivers MVS and NT use are different and as a
result data exported from one OS can't be imported by the other using ADSM.

        Basically we want to convert from ADSM on MVS to ADSM on NT or HPUX.  In
either case it appears we can't move the current data over to retain the
versioning.  Has anyone else found a solution to this problem?

        I have been asked if there was some way you can use virtual volumes.
This
persons idea is to send virtual volumes from MVS to NT by specifying the
server device type for the export.  Then have NT read them in.  To my
understanding this can't be done because there is no way to let the NT
system use the MVS virtual volumes.

        Any ideas or comments?

Thanks,
        Kyle