ADSM-L

TSM 3.7 DPA's & Oracle

2000-02-25 02:58:38
Subject: TSM 3.7 DPA's & Oracle
From: Gerald Wichmann <gwichmann AT SANSIA DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 23:58:38 -0800
I?m curious because I haven?t had a chance to use TSM Data Protection Agents
for any clients yet and we?re about to start implementing quite a few of
them. From what I?ve read you don?t really get incremental forever backups
when it comes to databases. It seems as though most of the agents simply
allow you to use the built in backup and restore utilities that come with
the various databases to ?pipe? the data to TSM. As a result you really end
up doing a more traditional database backup in that you schedule a full DB
backup once a week and then incrementals the other days (which is simply
backing up the transaction log daily).

Ditto with doing restores in that you use the utilities that come with the
databases rather then the TSM GUI.

Is this correct? Appreciate the feedback!

Gerald