ADSM-L

Re: Problems with Sun Client

2000-02-22 13:30:26
Subject: Re: Problems with Sun Client
From: Steven P Roder <tkssteve AT REXX.ACSU.BUFFALO DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 13:30:26 -0500
I don't think this will fix the problems.  I run 3.1.07, and still see NFS
mounted filesystems getting backed up as part of their parent, usually
root.  And, in my cases, the filesystems are not automounted, but rather,
are hard NFS mounts (in /etc/vfstab).  This is a real pain, as one cannot
"delete dir nodename /nfsmountpoint" on the server, and adding exclude.dir
or exclude.fs does not expire the files, meaning one has to allow the
files to expire "naturally" by first adding exclude /nfsmountpoint/.../*,
running a backup, and then changing that to exclude.dir or exclude.fs.

bummer...

> Hi Bob,
>
> This seems to be matching APAR IC23243:
>
> ===============
>
>  PROBLEM SUMMARY:
>  ****************************************************************
>  * USERS AFFECTED: All ADSM client users using automounter
>  ****************************************************************
>  * PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:  If a file system gets mounted by the
>  * automounter after dsmc is started the client will enter it
>  * and back up its files under the parent file system to the
>  * ADSM server.
>  ****************************************************************
>  * RECOMMENDATION: Apply csd when available
>
>  ****************************************************************
>  PROBLEM CONCLUSION:
>  Inside the routine that checks for whether a new file system
>  is entered (by checking the device id) there was a bug for
>  automounted file systems.
>
> ================
>
> This is fixed in the 3.1.0.7 client code. I would suggest you to try
> the latest code available from the ftp site:
>
>    ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/storage/adsm/fixes/v3r1/sol25/
>
> Hope this will solve your problem.
>
> Regards,
>
> Vo An Nguyen
> vanguyen AT ca.ibm DOT com
>

> Bob Booth <booth AT CHIANTI.CSO.UIUC DOT EDU> on 02/22/2000 10:14:56
>
> Please respond to r-booth AT uiuc DOT edu
>
> To:   ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
> cc:
> Subject:  Problems with Sun Client
>

> Does anyone know what to do, when the Sun client ignores the domain
> list, and the client 'objects' in the scheduler?  We have had continual
> problems with our Sun boxes backing up NFS mounted filesystems, not
> everytime, but some of the time.  These are small machines with large
> NFS mounted filesystems, so a backup that should take 20 minutes, takes
> 4 hours, and does nothing but fill up the activity log with unaccessable
>
> file messages.
>
> Both the domain list and the client 'objects' have these file systems
> listed:
> "/  /usr  /usr/local  /var  /opt"
>
> The NFS filesystem is mounted at /home.
>
> The server is AIX ADSM 3.1.2.50
> The client(s) Solaris 5.5.1 ADSM client version 3.1.0.5
>
> Any help out there?
>
> Thanks

Steve Roder, University at Buffalo
VM Systems Programmer
UNIX Systems Administrator (Solaris and AIX)
ADSM Administrator
(tkssteve AT buffalo DOT edu | (716)645-3564 |
http://ubvm.cc.buffalo.edu/~tkssteve)