ADSM-L

Help with Unix archives

2000-02-22 11:18:01
Subject: Help with Unix archives
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 10:18:01 -0600
Here's our scenario.

For the last eight months we've been permanently archiving Unix workstations and
servers using the ADSM client.  Most of the boxes run some variant of Irix.

Because the workstations users have links to a home directory on the server (for
example "dir1"), which itself has links to the workstations ("dir2"), we ended
up with a LOT of c**p like this:

/home/dir2/myfile
/home/dir2/dir1/dir2/myfile
/home/dir2/dir1/dir2/dir1/dir2/myfile
/home/dir2/dir1/dir2/dir1/dir2/dir1/dir2/dir1/dir2/dir1/dir2/dir1/dir2/dir1/dir2/dir1/dir2/dir1/dir2/.../dir1/dir2/myfile

until the maximum path length is exceeded in which case it repeats the process
above with the next file.

Finally (!), with client 3.1.0.7, an archive option called ARCHSYMLinkasfile
YES/NO  was introduced.

If set to NO, it eliminates the behavior above.

But, NOW, how do I remove all the old bogus entries without chainsawing the
entire filespace?  Attempting to "delete archives" from the client revealed that
to be one of the worst-performing processes in ADSM.  Since these are permanent
archives, they will remain forever otherwise.

Thanks in advance.

Tab