ADSM-L

Re: Question - How can Icount files and MB currently under ADSM/T SM?

2000-02-21 23:18:42
Subject: Re: Question - How can Icount files and MB currently under ADSM/T SM?
From: Joe Faracchio <brother AT SOCRATES.BERKELEY DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 20:18:42 -0800
Use MS-Access with ODBC and you won't have to download it explicitly.

besure your ADSM Admin Client install ODBC.  GO to Control Panel and
choose odbc and check for adsm, hilight it and then chose configure.

launch MS-Access , choose a DB(blank initially), choose Queries on the sub
window, then new, then OK (it should be on Design View)
(here's the tricky part)
close the Show table window,  right click on the blue header boarder
that says Query1: select query, pull down SQL Specific anc choose
pass-through  then type in your select, right-click the blue again
for properties and touch ODBC a '...' appears , select it, a data sources
appears go for the back menu machine sources ADSM should be a choice,
fill in userid and password ( i have a query only id for this) hit connect
it will go out and log in then ask if you want to save password in
connection string, close query properties, hit the red
! (bang/exclamation)  and watch it run!!  the results are now in a spread-
sheet setup under access.

I haven't figure what to do after that jsut yet but its nice to launch
large select queries from my NT desktop with 1 click!
hope this helps. (and what did you do on your Pres Day Holiday??? :-)

cheers !      ... joe.faracchio

P.S. got this out of a SAMS Teach Yourself SQL (in 10 minutes) by Ben
Forta.  Great book ! Perfect for an ADSM ADMIN novice as it is 85% Select
statement tutorial stuff!!!