ADSM-L

Re: Large Restores

2000-02-18 15:31:29
Subject: Re: Large Restores
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 15:31:29 -0500
>> We had a situation where we had to restore a large  production
>> server. This involved multiple tape mounts to rebuild
>> the server. We have a large external tape library and multiple
>> tape drives which are in STK silo's. Some of the
>> tapes are in the silos and others are filed outside
>> in a racked tape library. My question is, is there a
>> way to get a picking list of tapes needed for the restore
>> prior to the start of the restore. It would be
>> a big time saver to stage the tapes or enter
>> the tapes in the silo's before the tape is called
>> to be mounted.
>> I know this was not easily done with ADSM, however we have
>> recently installed TSM 3.7.1 and was wondering if enhancements
>> have been made to enable you to do this with Tivoli Storage
>> manager.

>Yes, there is.  You can run an SQL query against the ADSM DB to generate a
>tape listing.
>'select node_name,volume_name from volume_usage where node_name='nodename'

Actually, you want to further qualify the query, because an unqualified query
like this will show you all types (BACKUP, ARCHIVE) from all storage pools
(Primary, Copy), and thus a lot more volumes than would be involved in the
restoral.  Instead, you'd want something like:

 select filespace_name,volume_name from volumeusage where node_name='____' -
         and copy_type='backup' and stgpool_name='<YourBkupStgpoolName>'

Richard Sims, BU