ADSM-L

FW: ADSM Traffic encrypted?

2000-02-18 07:30:06
Subject: FW: ADSM Traffic encrypted?
From: "Lambelet,Rene,VEVEY,FC-SIL/INF." <Rene.Lambelet AT NESTLE DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 13:30:06 +0100
Hello dear *SMers and dear *SM-developpers,

> Obviously 56bit encryption is better than nothing but if Microsoft can get
> permission for a company like ours to have 128bit encryption surely Tivoli
> could do something similar. I do not know the details of *SM but if I were
> the product manager I would have an encryption bolt-on which would allow
> me to adapt to local circumstances.
>
> This being said there will be problems as far as multinational sites are
> concerned. For instance, in the past France has been one of the most
> restrictive countries concerning encryption. But this may have changed in
> the mean-time.
>
> If we are talking purely Switzerland, and for internal onsite environment
> traffic only, I would not worry too much. If I were a hacker in our
> environment there would be easier ways of getting the information than
> attacking the back ups!
>
> I do not know of any attempts to break the *SM compression & encryption
> and it may be correct to say that it would be difficult. If somebody
> obtained a cartridge with backups and really wanted to obtain the
> information they would put the resources to it (Government agencies -
> industrial espionage etc.) whereas the "casual" attacker would probably
> give up. It is possibe that Tivoli will change their approach in the
> future, as Don Warren states they have to start somewhere!
>
> Best regards

René Lambelet
Nestec S.A. / Informatique du Centre
55, av. Nestlé  CH-1800 Vevey (Switzerland)
*+41(021) 924 3543  7 +41 (021) 924 4589  * B 133
mail to: rene.lambelet AT nestle DOT com

        This message is intended only for the use of the addressee and
        may contain information that is privileged and confidential.