ADSM-L

Performance of TSM 3.7 Win32 clients

2000-02-17 10:50:51
Subject: Performance of TSM 3.7 Win32 clients
From: JerryLawson <jlawson AT THEHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 10:50:51 -0500
Date:     February 17, 2000             Time: 10:37 AM
From:     Jerry Lawson
          The Hartford Insurance Group
(860)  547-2960          jlawson AT thehartford DOT com
With all the other stuff going on around here, we have been rather slow to
With all the other stuff going on around here, we have been rather slow to
deploy the TSM 3.7 clients.  I have been running one myself, under NT4, and
it works fine, but haven't gone so far as to certify it for wide deployment
yet.

I started to do the certification, which includes giving the client to a
wider circle of users.  One complaint that came back was that it seemed
slower (as compared to the 3.1.0.5 client) on the same machine.  This person
replaced the 3.7 client with the 3.1,  He noticed that the throughput figures
on 3.1 indicated transfer rates in the 2MB range, while the 3.7 client seems
to get in the 500KB range.   It has been long enough on my own machine that I
don't have any comparisons, but I do notice that when the backup is running,
CPU utilization averages over 75% (nothing else running), and if I try to do
anything on the machine, response is very slow until the backup completes.

The machine is an IBM Thinkpad 760E with 48MB of RAM,  It has a total of
about 7GB of DASD, conting 37K files spread across 4 volumes.

Has anyone else seen slow response with the 3.7 Win32 client (or any other
platform)?  Has this been discussed on the list, and I missed it?

                                                     Jerry
                                                     Jerry