ADSM-L

backing up symbolic links.

2000-02-17 07:17:40
Subject: backing up symbolic links.
From: Nick Rutherford <Nick.Rutherford AT HONDA-EU DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 12:17:40 +0000
Hello all
I'm trying to backup our core user data via symbolic links but am having more
problems.

To backup data via symbolic links we have to issue specific Incremental commands
on the full path of the symbolic link.
e.g.
INC /catia/mod/lv1/CF/cf0.mod/*

There are about twenty links that are backed up via a schedule running a macro
using the above incremental command. However when I run an incremental backup on
the whole machine, the client expires all backup copies of files below the
symbolic link.

Our 'Include / Exclude' file states to include any data in '/catia/mod/lv1/.../*
'.
Our options file states 'subdir  yes' and 'followsymbolic   yes'.

Can anybody explain why this is happening?

any help would be greatly appreciated,

thanks,
Nick Rutherford.