ADSM-L

Re: Restore NT files, the 2.

2000-02-16 21:48:21
Subject: Re: Restore NT files, the 2.
From: Andy Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 19:48:21 -0700
You don't mention which version of the client you are
running, but this issue is discussed in the V3.7 "Using
the Windows Backup Client" book, and in the README file
for the latest 3.1 client. The following is from the
README file for the 3.1.0.8 client:

---------------------------------------
  - A file name collision will occur if you attempt to restore or retrieve
  - A file name collision will occur if you attempt to restore or retrieve
    file whose name is the same as an existing file's short name. For
    example, if a file named abcdefghijk.doc with a short name of
    abcdef~1.doc exists, and you attempt to restore or retrieve a file
    explicitly named abcdef~1.doc into the same directory. The collision
    will occur because the name of the file you are restoring is in
conflict
    with the short name for abcdefghijk.doc. ADSM will handle this
situation
    according to the REPLACE option that is in effect.

    This situation can occur even if the files are being restored to an
empty
    directory. For example, files abcdef~1.doc and abcdefghijk.doc may have
    originally existed in the directory, with abcdefghijk.doc having a
short
    name of abcdef~2.doc. During the restore, if abcdefghijk.doc is
restored
    first, it will be assigned a short name of abcdef~1.doc by the Windows
    operating system. When ADSM subsequently attempts to restore
    abcdef~1.doc, the duplicate file name situation will occur.

    If this should occur you can perform any of the following actions:

    * Restore or retrieve the file with a real short file name to a
different
      location.

    * Stop the restore or retrieve and change the name of the existing
file.

    * Disable short file name support on Windows. This option needs to be
      considered carefully. Some items for consideration include:

      - Applications that do not understand long file names (like 16-bit
        Windows or DOS applications) will not be able to access the files
        if the short name does not exist.

      - Files accessed via the network by DOS or 16-bit Windows(Windows
3.1x)
        users will not be able to access the files if the short name does
not
        exist.

      If you have these or other, similar situations, or if you are
uncertain
      how this would affect you, then turning off short file name support
is
      not recommended.

    * Do not use file names that would conflict with the short file naming
      convention, for example abcdef~1.doc.
---------------------------------------
One of the options, "Disable short file name support" is actually
One of the options, "Disable short file name support" is actually
mis-worded. Rather, it should be "Disable short file name
creation".

If you do not know how to do this, article Q121007 in the Microsoft
knowledge base discusses this. The article title is "How to Disable
the 8.3 Name Creation on NTFS Partitions".

For the purposes of restore, you could disable the short name
generation, then re-enable it once the restore is complete.
However, as mentioned above, 16-bit applications that can not
recognize long file names will not be able to access the
restored files. If you do not have any applications that
fall into this category then it probably won't be an issue.
But I mention it anyway, just as a general consideration.

By the way, you should be aware that this is a restriction of the
operating system, not ADSM or TSM. The algorithm for generating the
short names is built into Windows, and it can not be changed. Also,
the short name creation itself is performed by Windows, not the
application. There is no way for ADSM, TSM, or any other application
to control the short name that is created. You will find that even
the Windows "copy" and "move" commands have this problem.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM
e-mail: storman AT us.ibm DOT com
"The only dumb question is the one that goes unasked."

Hi,

thank you for your help. But the problem we have, occurred during a
restore test of our NT fileserver with over 900 000 files. Actually
we can check for differences, but if we need a real restore we can4t
check and some (hopefully only a few) files are lost.

Kind regards
N. Windrich