ADSM-L

files that just won't go away

2000-02-16 09:26:23
Subject: files that just won't go away
From: "CANNAM, CYNTHIA L (SBCSI)" <CC5657 AT MOMAIL.SBC DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 08:26:23 -0600
To all:

ADSM server: OS/390 running V3.1.2.4
Client:            HP-UX 10.2 running V3.1.0.3 (and no chance that an
upgrade will be soon)

The above client machine has about 775 files that have been physically
deleted from the file system. Unfortunately, it appears that just about the
same time as the files were deleted, someone changed the ADSM policy domain
so that the files were no longer bound to any management class. I didn't
know about this until the application folks came to me and wanted to modify
their retentions --- even though the messages had been appearing in the
DSMERROR.LOG stating that there was no longer a valid management class
associated with the file, no one (users/systems administrators) had
mentioned anything. When the 1st backup ran with the new policy
domain/management class in place, of course, these 775 files appeared on the
list --- and the messages still stated that there was no valid management
class for each file, and that the file skipped as a result.

I've tried various statements in the DSM.SYS file, in the INCLEXCL file,
attempted to rebind the files to some other management class besides the new
one I had established at the users' request, and reintroduced all of the
previous management classes in the policy (old and new). Because the files
don't physically exist on the machine any longer, and haven't been backed
up, there's no way to restore them to another place on the machine, let a
backup run, and then delete them in order to get their deletion retention
straightened out.

Has anyone else had deleted files that just wouldn't go away like this? Any
help is appreciated!

Cindy Cannam

Cynthia L. (Cindy) Cannam, MBA
Midrange Planning/TSM Technical Support
Systems Manager/SBC Services, Inc.
(314)340-0722 office
(314)879-1696 pager
(314)340-0992 fax
Nearly Native Floridian Freezing in the Midwest