ADSM-L

Re: how to backup a directory (filesystem)

2000-02-15 21:24:08
Subject: Re: how to backup a directory (filesystem)
From: Simon Watson <simon.s.watson AT SHELL.COM DOT BN>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 10:24:08 +0800
Julie,

If I understand you correctly you are using ADSM to backup the
directory on a daily basis (ie copy the new or changed data from the
system to ADSM).  One of the disks has now failed.  You are now
replacing the disk, and then need to RESTORE the data (ie. copy the
data back from ADSM to the system).  I presume the data is NOT
recoverable from the disk(s).

If this is correct DO NOT ignore the incemental backups.  This is the
only way to recover the data back to the state it was in when your last
backup ran.

Go ahead & replace the faulty disk & then do a simple restore of the
file system.  ADSM will select what data to get from what tapes, as it
will Restore all active data back to the system.  Depending on the size
and how data is stored on tapes (Collocated or not) this may take a
while, however there are no short cuts, unless you have some spare disk
& can start recoverying the data to a different disk(s) already.

Once this exercise is over you may be able to rethink how your data is
stored on tapes & at least use collocation & keep all the data for a
particular node together on a (group of) tapes.

Best of luck.

Regards,
Simon