ADSM-L

Re: Help: OpenVMS only retaining 2 copies

2000-02-11 13:52:48
Subject: Re: Help: OpenVMS only retaining 2 copies
From: bbullock <bbullock AT MICRON DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 11:52:48 -0700
        The tricky thing is that most VMS files already have built in
versioning of files with the ;1, ;2, etc appended to the file. So, to the
ADSM server, all of these versions are distinct files that are to be kept on
the server according to the "retain only" parameter once they are deleted.
Then again there are some files that are open all the time and the ";1"
never changes, in these cases, it will be the "Versions data exists"
parameter that will dictate when they are removed from the ADSM server.

        To get around this we worked with SSSI and set the copygroups like
this:

adsm> q copy

Versions     Versions       Retain      Retain
Data         Data        Extra        Only
Exists      Deleted     Versions     Version
 30           30           30          30
 30           30           30          30

        This keep ALL files created on the VMS disks for 30 days and then
nukes them. Perhaps not the most efficient way to do it, but it has worked
for the last 2+ years. If anybody has a different scheme to retain OpenVMS
files, I'd like to know.

Thanks,
Ben