ADSM-L

Re: Re. : Re: End of support for ADSM as 3/1/2000

2000-02-11 11:43:58
Subject: Re: Re. : Re: End of support for ADSM as 3/1/2000
From: Len Boyle <SNOLEN AT VM.SAS DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 11:43:58 EST
In article <s8a2aebc.098 AT tagwia.thruway.state.ny DOT us>, Lawrence Clark
<Larry_Clark AT THRUWAY.STATE.NY DOT US> says:

>Is TSM 3.7 much different from ADSM 3.1? Is the migration difficult?
>
>Larry Clark
>NYS Thruway Authority

TSM 3.7 is pretty much the same with enhancements from 3.1.
To me it appears to me that using a TSM 3.7 client and a TSM
server is faster then using adsm 2.1. Of course you can use
TSM 3.7 clients with ADSM 3.1 servers and ADSM 3.1 clients with
TSM 3.7 servers.

We upgraded
a server from adsm 2.1 to 3.7 and the procedure is easy. We
Stopped the 2.1 server including the driver adsmsys. Ran the install
and told it to use the adsm directory where the old server code was
located instead of the new tsm directory name. Ran dsmserv with the
upgradedb option. and we were at 3.7. This install was done from
the cdrom to pick up the new license key files as they are a
different format from adsm 2.1 and 3.1. Then we shutdown the server
again and ran another install with the tsm pft 1 package that we
had fetched with ftp from the ibm ftp site. Of course if we go
by the old schedule of an *tsm server ptf every quarter, we should
see ptf2 any day now as ptf1 came out in oct 1999.

The only part that could be confusing is that the post install wizard
thing seems to act like you are doing a new install and not an upgrade.
So I just ignored that part of it and used the swiss army knive panels
to go over the server options and upgrade the ones that I wanted to
change on the first pass. There are a number of options that have been
added or changed between ADSM ver 2.1 and TSM 3.7. The hardest part of the
process will be to review the doc on the product cdrom (also on the TSM
web page), The red book on TSM, and the readme's that comes with the
PTF.

Leonard Boyle                               snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
Leonard Boyle                               snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
SAS Institute Inc.                          ussas4hs@ibmmail
Room RB448                                  len.boyle AT sas DOT com
1 SAS Campus Drive                        (919) 677-8000 ext 6241
Cary NC 27513