ADSM-L

Re: MS Exchange and Tivoli TSM

2000-02-09 19:14:53
Subject: Re: MS Exchange and Tivoli TSM
From: Andy Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 17:14:53 -0700
Hi Joel,

Yes, the fixtest 3.1.0.7f2 was put out to fix the problem you
describe. However, this fixtest came out after the version 3.7
clients were made available. At the time 3.7 came out, this
problem still existed.

I'm pretty sure that the latest fixtest, 3.7.1.03, incorporates
the same fix as 3.1.0.7f2. Try that out, and see if that helps.

Below my sig, I will post the text from the 3.1.0.7f2 fixtest
README file that discusses how to manually remove the counters.

Best regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM
e-mail: storman AT us.ibm DOT com
"The only dumb question is the one that goes unasked."

  WARNING: This procedure involves editing the NT registry.
  WARNING: This procedure involves editing the NT registry.
           THE REGISTRY EDITOR IS NOT FORGIVING OF MISTAKES!
           Errors in editing the registry have the potential
           to render the system unstable or even unbootable.
           If you are unfamiliar or uncomfortable with
           editing the registry, then either ask someone who
           is more experienced do this for you or install
           this fixtest (which automatically performs these
           operations for you).

  1) From an MS-DOS command line prompt, enter the
     following command:

        unlodctr "ADSM Client Performance"

     If the performance counters were previously
     installed, you should see the following messages:

        Removing counter names and explain text for
              ADSM Client Performance
        Updating text for language 009

     If the performance counters were not previously
     installed, you will see this message:

        Counters for ADSM Client Performance have not
              been installed yet

  2) Using the registry editor, remove the following
     keys (including their values):

        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\
           SYSTEM\
              CurrentControlSet\
                 Services\
                    ADSM Client Performance

        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\
           SYSTEM\
              CurrentControlSet\
                 Services\
                    EventLog\
                       Application\
                          ADSM Client Performance

     The performance counters and registry entries are now
     removed.
Hello All:
Hello All:

I just installed the TSM 3.7 B/A client on 4 Exchange servers for general
backup, and they also run TDP for MS Exchange.

The backups are all going great. However, I had an Exchange Administrator
ask me
to look at the Event Log on one of my clients.
To my dismay, I saw two old friends from the past. There were pairs of
errors in
the Application Log....

Event ID 3002 followed by Event ID 1008.

They are

Event ID 3002: Create failed for the ADSM client performance counter thread
 list
mutex. The mutex name is in the attached data.

Event ID 1008: The Open Procedure for service "ADSM Client Performance" in
DLL
"dsmcperf.dll" failed. Performance data for this service will not be
available.
Status code returned is DWORD 0.

Unless I'm mistaken, this is the error that ADSM 3.1.0.7f   IC23396f2
addressed,
(IC 24370) where by there was a conflict between ADSM performance
monitoring
tools and some other tool.

These clients never had the B/A client 3.1 anything on them. They were
built new
w/3.7 IP21806.

It turns out that 3 of my 4 servers have the problem, they are all Compaq
6400s,
running NT (SP5 w/RPC hot fix), Exchange 5.5 SP3 (build 2650.24), and they
are
Vinca mirrored servers.

Whoa. Anyone else seen this? I'm getting ready to call support, but I think
get to TSM client smart IBM people quicker through here. I hate to say it,
I get
an advocate right away and I still have to talk to them 20 minutes to
convince
them it isn't a TSM server error.....

Thanks,
Joel Cooper