ADSM-L

Re: 3494 Tape Libraries

2000-02-09 10:04:15
Subject: Re: 3494 Tape Libraries
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 10:04:15 -0500
>I would be curious to hear if anyone has a backup strategy for the OS/2 PC that
>runs the 3494 tape library? The reason I ask is that we had a hard disk failure
>on the PC this weekend and it took three IBM CE's three days to rebuild it.
>Three days without a tape library is not pretty. The process was basically a
>complete re-install of the OS.

Bill - As Valeriano pointed out, redundant hardware usually takes care of the
       situation.
But to have three IBM CE's take THREE DAYS to rebuild the disk is just
inexcusable.  A whole 3494 itself can be installed in one day.
Sad to say, but IBM CE proficiency these days is sadly lacking, as per
similar experiences at my own site - despite this being "enterprise" hardware.
Make sure your site management leans on IBM about this.  There should also
be a survey call in coming days asking how satisfied you were with the
handling of the service call, where you can express your satisfaction.
Be aware that that route gets little remediation, though.
     Richard Sims, BU