ADSM-L

Database occupancy and performance

2000-02-08 16:12:11
Subject: Database occupancy and performance
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 16:12:11 -0500
A few weeks ago my site added a new ADSM client. It is a NetNews server with
an astounding number of files and an astounding daily turnover. Even with
inactive backups of NetNews postings retained for only seven days, the system
has added about six hundred megabytes of data to the ADSM database. I am
trying to get more disk space, but in the meantime I have a three gigabyte
database with a percentage occupancy in the mid-nineties. Some systems for
allocating space in databases slow down when the amount of free space gets
very small. Does the ADSM database suffer from that kind of behavior?