ADSM-L

Submitting Requirements, was: Re: AW: Linux TSM Server

2000-02-07 17:18:34
Subject: Submitting Requirements, was: Re: AW: Linux TSM Server
From: Glen Hattrup <ghattrup AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 15:18:34 -0700
Hi Tom,

As painful as it is, :-) I talked with some of our marketing people and
here's what they came back to me with.

(most of) Marketing doesn't monitor ADSM-L becuase it is a high traffic
list, and for the most part the posts are not very pertinent to them.  I
would guess that there is a 5:1 ratio (if not higher) in days of posts for
help vs a single item submittal on ADSM-L.  Given the hectic nature of
their jobs, I don't see that as too unreasonable of a decision.

Others from the TSM team do watch the ADSM-L list and can / will forward
along the "bigger" items that come across, if they haven't come up already.
For example, the Linux server issue:  We had addressed the issue some time
ago, well before the item came up on the ADSM-L list.

But, if you need the gratification of getting your message directly to the
marketing team there is another list that serves just exactly that purpose.
ADSM-R
This was mentioned by a few in Marketing that I talked with, and they said
that it is a very *low* traffic list.  My guess is that most people aren't
aware of the list's existence.  You can subscribe by sending a note to
listserv AT vm.marist DOT edu with the a blank subject and a body of "subscribe
ADSM-R your name".  That is the quickest way to submit a request to
marketing without having to go through a CE / SE / Tivoli rep.

A couple of notes (aren't there always?):
-While Marketing *does* read the notes on that list, they won't respond.
There are several reasons behind this.  First, they don't want to appear to
There are several reasons behind this.  First, they don't want to appear to
be making a commitment on any given item, especially since that's not the
appropriate forum for it.  Second, they don't want to get into a protracted
debate on a given point and / or they don't want to ruffle any feathers
unnecessarily.  There's more, but I think that explains the gist of it.
-At the same time, I didn't hear of any reason why other people can't
continue a thread within ADSM-R.  In other words, someone suggests a really
continue a thread within ADSM-R.  In other words, someone suggests a really
nifty idea (say a TSM Linux server... :-), and others think they have ways
to make it better.  Continue the thread and the discussion, hashing out
what you feel is the core of your need.  Also, if you see someone post a
"requirement" that already exists within some level of TSM, please feel
free to let them know.
-And just one quick reminder:  ADSM-R is not for support questions, eg. it
is not another ADSM-L.  The higher the volume of un-related posts, the less
is not another ADSM-L.  The higher the volume of un-related posts, the less
it will be monitored.  I don't think this is a major worry given the
professional nature that ADSM-L has exhibited.

That's about it for the moment, and I'm afraid I can't spend much more time
on the issue.  Just like everyone else on the list, I have deadlines that
have to be met...

Hope this helped....

Glen Hattrup
Tivoli Storage Manager