ADSM-L

Re: A adsm backup policy for Sybase Dumps

2000-02-07 16:44:25
Subject: Re: A adsm backup policy for Sybase Dumps
From: Miles Purdy <PURDYM AT NISA.GC DOT CA>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 15:44:25 -0600
Hi Randy,

you might want to do something like this...

Versions data exists: no limit
versions data deleted: no limit
Retain extra: 8
Retain only: 8

...because you will want to be able to backup an infinite number database dumps
and not have them expire. And I would only keep the dumps around for a small
number of days. Are you really going to restore your production server 90 days
back?

We currently backup ~50GB from sybase dumps this way each night.

Miles

----------------
Miles Purdy, System Manager
Miles Purdy, System Manager
purdym AT nisa.gc DOT ca
Net Income Stabilization Account
Winnipeg, MB, CA
(204) 984-1602

>>> wawork Wash <wawork AT HOTMAIL DOT COM> 07-Feb-00 1:25:57 PM >>>
Has anyone implemented a separate adsm backup policy for Sybase dumps?  As
you know Sybase dumps are about the same size as the particular sybase
database.  We dump about 6 Gigabytes a night in 10 different dump files.

Our Unix Admin folks have adsm setup as:
Version Data Exists: 90
Version Data Deleted: 90
Retain Extra Version: unlimited
Retain Only Version: unlimited

Just wondering what other folks are doing.  We are thinking of going to;
5,2,30,180

Randy
wawork AT hotmail DOT com