ADSM-L

Re: Offsite Storage

2015-10-04 17:33:43
Subject: Re: Offsite Storage
From: Lawrence Clark [mailto:Larry_Clark AT THRUWAY.STATE.NY DOT US]
Hi:
We will be implementing DRM in the next several months, but I have used the
following method for the last year:
during the day the changes to the storage pools are copied to the copypool
"OFFSITEVOLS"
as the volumes are allocated they have a status of read/write (or not
offsite)
in the afternoon when all data is copied to the copypool, a cron job backs
up the database and configuration files, then executes a select ( code
fragment below) to get a list of volumes in the "OFFSITEVOLS" copypool. This
is then fed into a routine to check out the volumes and change their status
to 'offsite'
I then use ACCESS to generate reports of the current % utilized and %
reclaimable on the offsite volumes and at the end of each month retrieve
those volumes that are at a set % utilized. These are reentered into the
library, the access is set readw, the volumes are checked in, and I do move
data to move the remaining data to other volumes in the copypool and return
those to the scratch pool.

( I hope DRM does not prove to be a more cumbersome process.)

Larry Clark
NYS Thruway Authority

# SECOND: GET LIST OF ONSITE COPY POOL VOLUMES
/home/root/bin/dsmcmd \
 "select volume_name from volumes where stgpool_name='OFFSITEVOLS' \
AND NOT access='OFFSITE'" > SQLTEST
grep "^[000]" SQLTEST > VOLLIST
#------------------------------------------------
# THIRD: CHECK CANDIDATE VOLUMES OUT
Offsitetape < VOLLIST
echo " done reading volume input"
Offsitetape ()
# - readin tape vol input until EOF
# - issue checkout & then update to offsite
# - for each vol input
{
while read volname; do
echo "FOUND CANDIDATE FOR OFFSITE MIGRATION: "$volname
/home/root/bin/dsmcmd "CHECKO LIBV IBM3494A $volname "
/home/root/bin/dsmcmd "UPDATE VOL $volname ACC=OFFSITE"
done
}

>>> Bill Wheeler <Bill.Wheeler AT LA-Z-BOY DOT COM> 02/04/00 10:28AM >>>
Hello Everyone,

            I am currently looking into ways to do offsite storage.  We have
determined that the DRM software is not needed here.  We run a small system
and this software is better off on a large system.   I was wondering if
anyone could give me an idea on how they are doing it.  One of our options
is to run an archive nightly and ship that offsite.   Does anyone have a
different idea.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill Wheeler
AIX Administrator
La-Z-Boy Incorporated
bill.wheeler AT la-z-boy DOT com <mailto:bill.wheeler AT la-z-boy DOT com>