ADSM-L

Re: Offsite Storage

2000-02-07 08:29:13
Subject: Re: Offsite Storage
From: "Agnew, Doug" <dagnew AT CHARLOTTEPIPE DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 08:29:13 -0500
I do essentially the same thing as Lawrence, but I don't return the copy
pool tapes to the library until they are scratched.  You can, by lowering
and then raising the reclaim pct on the copypool, cause tapes with a certain
amount free to consolidate.  It does that from the primary tapes.

Every morning, we (a) create copy pool volumes, (b) expire inventory, (c)
backup the database, (d) checkout all stgpool volumes that are to go offsite
(copy and primary), produce a list of tapes to be moved in each direction
(by saving yesterday's list of offsite tapes and diff-ing it with today's
list), and (e) print a complete inventory report of all tapes stored
offsite.  It is all a series of ADSM scripts/macros and ksh scripts using
standard Unix tools (grep/awk/diff).

Until I see a justification for DRM, this works well enough for me.

Doug Agnew
DBA
Charlotte Pipe & Foundry