ADSM-L

Re: Largest *SM DB

2000-02-05 11:23:20
Subject: Re: Largest *SM DB
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2000 11:23:20 -0500
>I think the *SM database will continue to scale far beyond what we have
>today.  As we replace existing machines with faster machines, the DB
>backup/restore times will be reduced and larger *SM databases will be
>practical.

Bill - To a large extent I concur with that; but also have to say that
       "algorithms are everything" when it comes to speed.  The performance
we're seeing in a variety of *SM database operations is disappointing, and
is a drag on the product.  Some ADSMers have historically called for the
database to be managed by a high-performance commercial database product.
Initially, I did not lean in that direction, expecting that a dedicated
database was the way to go; but having seen ADSM db performance over time,
and the frustrating shortcomings in what can be obtained from the db via
SQL functions, I have to agree that better database software is called for.
This should be a high priority for the *SM product, as there are just too
many problems with what we have now.
    Richard Sims, BU