ADSM-L

[no subject]

2015-10-04 17:33:42
Dear ADSM community,

I'd be interested in hearing how others are handling a similar
requirements to the ones we have or if you have any good ideas.

The implementation has a 3494 library and critical data resides on almost
three hundred and fifty 3590 cartridges which are part of a collocated
(node level) offsite storage pool. In the event of disaster, the file
systems would be restored via 4 external 3590 tape drives. This is of couse
an extremely manual process. The objective is to minimise the manual
cartridge loading/unloading as much as possible within the constraints of
not having a library. To this end, the original system architect decided to
do a full backup once a week (thereby essentially collocating filesystem
data) and incrementals daily  thereafter. Cartridges are moved offsite
daily. A disaster recovery test worked well.

This has worked up to now but the volume of data being backed up is
increasing quickly - the full node backups are causing the recovery log to
fill, trigger db backups and recently this has also lead to ADSM crashing.

How do others prepare for similar disaster recover scenarios?
ie no automated cartridge handling and a requirement for fast restores of
large volumes of data.

I have considered collocation at the filesystem level coupled with
incremental backups, but I understand this would quickly lead to all
scratch tapes in the library being defined even though they might contain
only small filesystems. I cannot allow this to happen as scratch tapes are
required for other operations. I understand strictly speaking I could
define volumes to my offsite storage pool with collocation enabled at the
filesystem level but this is not practical - there are so many volumes for
this storage pool being checked in and out, I would be sure to run out of
volumes quickly.

My initial reaction was one of horror when I saw that a full backup was
being performed weekly. I had always assumed ADSM would be set to perform
incrementals ad infinitum. I'd be interested in hearing if other locations
also run full backups too and what approaches others are taking to meet
similar requirments.

Thanks for any input,

Eric Winters
IBM Global Services Australia