ADSM-L

Re: Tape drive comparisons

2000-02-02 12:03:54
Subject: Re: Tape drive comparisons
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 12:03:54 -0500
Here we have both - a 3494 with 3590B drives attached to OS/390, and STK9710
robots with STK9840 drives attached to AIX. Both type of drives are superb.
We have seen a few annoying but harmless microcode problems with the 3494
and 3590 drives; nothing serious.  No problems at all with the 9840's.  My
personal opinion is that the STK robotics are rather better designed and
more sophisticated, but what really matters is reliability, reliability,
reliability, and I believe the 3590 and the 9840 are the best on the market

Right now the STK9840 cartridge is 20GB native; the 3590B cartridge is 10GB
native but the 3590E is available at 20GB.  Combine that with the newer 3590
double-density drive and you can get 40GB native on a cartridge.  Speed is
probably going to be an issue of how you have the drive attached and how
fast you can push the data more than the drive capability itself.

You can't go wrong with either of these, and you'll probably end up making
the decision based on something like floorspace requirements or which
salesperson can cut you the best deal...:>).

My opinions and nobody else's,

Wanda Prather