ADSM-L

Re: Problem with AIX client backup

2000-02-01 07:39:04
Subject: Re: Problem with AIX client backup
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 07:39:04 -0500
>Server is ADSM 3.1.2.42 on AIX 4.3.2.
>Client is AIX 3.1.0.7 on AIX 4.3.2.

>Started getting this error on 1 filesystem, now has spread to 4.  Others
>still backing up ok.
>Lines below are from dsmerror.log.
>Anybody know what this is trying to tell me?  What "unable to stat" means?
>Thanks.
>

>mm/dd/yy hh:mm:ss  TransErrno:  Unexpected error from
>fioGetFS:statfs,errno=4
>mm/dd/yy hh:mm:ss  fsCheckAdd: unable to stat local filespace /usr
>mm/dd/yy hh:mm:ss  ANS1028S Internal program error.

That's a peculiar situation, Wanda.  In AIX, errno 4 means:

EINTR           4       Interrupted system call.
                        An asynchronous signal (such as interrupt or quit) that
                        the user has elected to catch occurred during a system
                        call. If execution is resumed after processing the
                        signal and the system call is not restarted, it will
                        appear as if the interrupted system call returned this
                        error condition.  Consider retrying.

I would not expect signal interruption of such tasks.
I don't know what your file system repertoire is, but my gut suspicion, based
upon my AIX experience, is that there is an ill-behaved NFS or other type of
non-local file system mounted, causing the statfs to fail.  I've seen a lot of
weird AIX system behavior in the presence of a problematic NFS file system:
'df' command won't complete, 'mail' command hangs solid (problem with NFS
locking when one file system in the list is not responding), etc.  This would
seem to be the case if the problem is "spreading" to other file systems, which
unto themselves should be fine.  The ADSM client software is just a victim of
whatever is going on in the file system collection.
    Richard Sims, BU