ADSM-L

Re: [Re: Upgrade 3590s 1BA/1EA - Problems]

2000-01-28 21:30:49
Subject: Re: [Re: Upgrade 3590s 1BA/1EA - Problems]
From: MICHEL HUBER <michel.huber AT USA DOT NET>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 19:30:49 MST
Mauro/Gunther
  I had the same problem at a customer site a couple of months
ago.  In their case, it was resolved with the A70 microcode.
However, I upgraded the SCSI adapter microcode prior to the
tape drive microcode upgrade.
   It may be a long shot, but is your SCSI adapter microcode
up-to-date?

   Please let us know what happens...there are a *lot* of
people out there upgrading from 3590B's to E's, and this
list can be an invaluable resource for 'weird' problems.

Good luck!
'Chel

Michel Huber
Consultant
Gresham Enterprise Storage

"H.G.Borrmann" <borrmann AT IBM1.RUF.UNI-FREIBURG DOT DE> wrote:
Mauro

> H.G.,
>
> still having problems on two out of the four tapes.
>
> IBM changed on one of the two faulty drive:
>
>         - head      (nothing's changed)
>         - card-pack (nothing's changed)
>
> I changed:
>
>         - 3590 microcode from D0IC_994 to D0IC_A70 (nothing's changed)
>         - Atape driver downgraded 5.0.2 -> 4.6.2   (nothing's changed)
>
> IBM guys are scratching their heads, they run short on ideas ... I'm busy
> copying the R/O cartridges and trying to restore what it's set as
> damaged. I wish I could go back to the old and secure 3590-1BA drives.
>
> I have two drive on each board (Wide/Fast-20 SCSI I/O Controller). Can
> this be a problem given the current throughput of the new drives?
>
> How many 3590-1EA do you have on a single SCSI channel and which SCSI
> board do you have on the AIX box?

We have wide differential SCSI adapters (type 4-C and 4-6). We have 4 drives
on each SCSI-bus which is ian interim solution until the installation of
new server hardware. Our servers are RS/6000 590 models.

IBM analyzed our errorlogs and came to the result that the errors were caused
by three volumes which are not readable any longer. They stated that there
may be problems reading tapes with 3590E drives which were written with the
old drives before upgrade!

Gunther
|H.G.Borrmann                           |Tel.: (0761) 203-4652            |
|Rechenzentrum der Universitaet Freiburg|Fax:  (0761) 203-4643            |
|Hermann-Herder-Str. 10                 |email:                           |
|D79104 FREIBURG                        |borrmann AT ruf.uni-freiburg DOT de

"Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before
breakfast" - The White Queen, Alice Through the Looking Glass, Lewis Carroll