ADSM-L

Re: Linux 3.7 client

2015-10-04 17:35:06
Subject: Re: Linux 3.7 client
From: Dave Randell [mailto:Dave.Randell AT METROGR DOT ORG]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Eric,  These commands got the scheduler working on my AIX 4.3.2 client
machines that were experiencing similar scheduler hangs / exits.  Maybe
they'll help keep yours going.

This is the fix for client scheduler not running on AIX 4.3.x machines

5. The news from AIX support:
 On AIX 4.2, "nohup" redirects stdin to /dev/null, in
 order to prevent SIGKILL delivery when getty does a
 revoke. However, this doesn't conform to POSIX standards,
 and so in AIX 4.3 it has been corrected. So currently,
 in AIX 4.3.2 nohup does nothing to stdin.
 6. The ADSM Manuals should be updated with the message about
 AIX 4.3 nohup design changes and about the apporpriate
 scheme of "nohup dsmc sched" start:
 nohup dsmc sched >outfile.txt 2>&1 &
 nohup dsmc sched >/dev/null 2>&1 < /dev/null &
 nohup dsmc sched &
 nohup dsmc sched >/dev/null 2>&1 & - for AIX 4.2 and older.

>>> "Loon, E.J. van - SPLXM" <Eric-van.Loon AT KLM DOT NL> 01/28/00 10:46AM >>>
Hi *SM-ers!
I have installed the new Linux 3.7 client on a Linux Suse 6.2 machine which
was running the ADSM 3.1 client before.
Normally I would start the scheduler by issuing the command:

nohup /usr/adsm/dsmc sched 2> /dev/null &

This worked fine with the ADSM client, but when I use this command with the
TSM client it doesn't return the prompt afterwards. When I press enter
again, the prompt returns along with the following message:

[1]+  Exit 127                nohup dsmc sched 2>/dev/null

The scheduler is stopped and the backup is missed.
Does anybody know why the TSM scheduler can't be started in the background
no more?
Thank you very much for your reply in advance!
Kindest regards,
Eric van Loon