ADSM-L

Re: Restoring user profiles

2000-01-27 15:08:32
Subject: Re: Restoring user profiles
From: Andy Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 12:08:32 -0800
Hi Ken,

In addition to the suggestions offered by others, you should take a look
at the redbook SG24-2231: Windows NT Backup and Recovery with ADSM. It
has some very good information on backup and restore considerations
(including user profiles).

If you have any MS Clusters, you should also take a look at
SG24-5742: "Using TSM in a Clustered Windows NT Environment".

The redbooks are available at http://www.redbooks.ibm.com. To locate them,
enter the publication number (i.e. SG24-2231 or SG24-5742) in the "Search"
box, then press "Go".

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM
e-mail: storman AT us.ibm DOT com
"The only dumb question is the one that goes unasked."

We have been testing ADSM/TSM to see if it will work for our organization.
We have been having problems with Bare Metal restores - every time we try
restore a workstation, the user settings are lost and we end up with the
default profile.  We brought a ADSM/TSM rep on sight and he was baffled.
He
had us call tech support and they told us is was an OS issue - Microsoft
Windows (NT or 95) does not allow the active profile to be backed up.  This
means in order to back up the profile, the user would need to log out, log
in with another username, run a backup, log out and log back in as
themselves.  A lot of people, in particular those who most need to be
backed
up, just aren't going to be willing to go through all that.

Is what the tech support guy told me correct?  Is ADSM/TSM really unable to
back up the active user?  Does anyone know of a workaround?

Thanks,

Ken