ADSM-L

3590 tapes media errors, read only status

2000-01-25 11:30:37
Subject: 3590 tapes media errors, read only status
From: "Lynch, Rich" <Lynch.Rich AT MBCO DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 10:30:37 -0600
It seems like we have had a larger than normal occurrences of 3590 tapes
with media errors, it seems like every day I see different tapes in
read-only status but when I do a q vol <volser> f=d I dont see any read
errors. I usually just reset these to readwrite and watch for more errors.
Occasionally I do see some read errors and I have had to restore some
volumes just recently from offsite copies.  These ultra scsi 3590's are in a
3494 library with latest library code, and the drives have the B833
microcode on them.
I was just wondering if other 3590 shops have similar bad media problems,
and how often.  Our library has about 400 tapes, and we have had about 20
bad tapes in the past few months.  (Were at adsm 3.1.2.50 on aix 4.2.1, with
latest Atape 5.0.1)

Thanks
Rich Lynch
Miller brewing Co, Milwaukee WI