ADSM-L

Re: NT Bare Metal Restore

2000-01-21 02:48:10
Subject: Re: NT Bare Metal Restore
From: Joel Fuhrman <joelf AT CAC.WASHINGTON DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 23:48:10 -0800
Search for "bare metal" on http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooksonline.html

Here are my notes:

Since most of our systems use C: as the one and only NT partion (formated
using NTFS), I will assume that configuration for this description.

1) If you don't know the ADSM password, set it on the ADSM Server using
the command 'update node <NodeName> <NewPassword>'.

2) If you need a boot diskette, it must contain ntldr, ntdetect.com and
boot.ini.  You can create it by coping the files from a similar host.

3) Install NT into another partion.  You will need to define all the network
attributes.  Do _not_ join a domain.  If you don't have any partions and you
create a C: and a D; partions and intall into D:. NT will first format C:
using FAT16 and then format D: using your selection. Unfortunately when you
finish, you will be unable to re-format C: using NTFS because the system
files will have been installed in C:.  I'm not sure of the best way around
this problem.  I did a second install into C: using NTFS.  I didn't define
a network since its going to be over written.  If you don't know the size
of the partion, you can obtaine that information from the ADSM Server by
doing: 'q files <NodeName>'

4) Boot to D:. Install at least Service Pack 3.  Install ADSM.  If the
system has a dedicated backup network interface, update the Backup Client
Option file (dsm.opt) to use it.

5) On the ADSM server reduce the amount of time it waits before dismounting
a tape from 5 to 0 by doing 'upd dev dev9840 mountr=0'

6) Now activate the ADSM Command Line Client and enter the DSMC command:
'restore -subdir=yes C:\'.  Multiple dsmc processes, each restoring
different directories, can be run but its probably not worth the effort
because our directories are small. If you do go that route, you make want to
restore the directories first using: 'restore -subdir=yes -dirs=yes C:\'
then do the other restores.

7) Restore the registry by doing:
copy c:\adsm.sys\registry\<NodeName>\machine\*.*  C:\winnt\system32\config

8) Restore the default desktop:
copy c:\adsm.sys\registry\<NodeName>\users\default C:\winnt\system32\config

9) Restore the locally logged on user, if any:
copy c:\adsm.sys\registry\<NodeName>\user\<Id>\*.* c:\winnt\profiles\<Id>
cd \c:\winnt\profiles\<Id>
rename <Id>000 ntuser.dat
rename <Id>000.key ntuser.dat.log

10) Shut down and reboot.  If you lost the original D: partion, you may get
errors.

11) If needed, recreate the original D: partion and reload it using:
'restore -subdir=yes -dirs=yes D:\'

12) Set the ADSM server mount retention back to its orginal value by doing:
'upd dev dev9840 mountr=5'