ADSM-L

Re: Open reclamation problem: IC15925

2000-01-14 15:13:10
Subject: Re: Open reclamation problem: IC15925
From: Ted Byrne <tbyrne AT DSSCORP DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 15:13:10 -0500
Some months ago, I posted a message concerning problems with reclamation times
for the copypool associated with our directory storage pool.  The unresolved
APAR IC15925 details that reclamation of storage pools where the primary copy
resides on a random-access disk storage pool is performed one object at a time.

Charles Silvan of IBM had replied suggesting making the primary storage pool
sequential access using a DEVType of FILE for the DEVClass.

I was finally able to try it today, and I'm happy to report that this workaround
completelyaddresses the performance problems we were seeing.  Reclaim times for
this storage pool were in the 36-48 hour range, if we even allowed the
reclamation to complete.  After switching to a sequential-access storage pool,
the tapes were reclaimed in less than 12 minutes (and 3 1/2 minutes of that was
waiting for the tape to mount).

Thank you for your suggestion, Charles.

Ted Byrne