ADSM-L

3590E Tape Problems

2000-01-13 08:28:27
Subject: 3590E Tape Problems
From: "Smith, Bob" <bob.smith AT EDS DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 13:28:27 -0000
We have recently upgraded to 3590Es (ADSM 3.1.2.42, 3466-NSM-C30, 3494,
6*3590E, AIX 4.3.2). After the upgrade we have started to get numerous
messages for input volumes written *after* the upgrade like the following:

ANR8447E No drives are currently available in library 3494LIB.
ANR1401W Mount request denied for volume 028462 - mount failed.
ANR0542W Retrieve or restore failed for session 1327 for node NODEXXX
-SQL-BACKTRACK) - storage media inaccessible.
The volumes concerned were all scratch volumes written after the upgrade to
The volumes concerned were all scratch volumes written after the upgrade to
3590Es. There are plenty of drives available. Access to the volume is
obtained by changing its status to "read-only". I have discussed this with a
colleague at another site and he had the same problem. What he had to do was
to relabel cartridges as they returned to scratch (with OVERWRITE=YES),
rather than allow expired 128-track volumes be re-used in 256-track mode
when they are returned to scratch. IBM do not appear to have heard of this,
but it is fairly consistent in our shop.
Anyone else had this problem and is there a better solution than organizing
the relabelling of all 3590 cartridges before re-use on 3590Es?

Bob Smith
bob.smith AT eds DOT com
EDS UK