ADSM-L

Re: Bare Metal Restore

2000-01-12 18:35:35
Subject: Re: Bare Metal Restore
From: "Kristopher T. Domich" <kdomich AT DIMENSION DOT NET>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 18:35:35 -0500
a bare metal restore is a restore that you have to do to a machine when
there has been a total hardware failure or a similar catastrophe.  with nt
systems, you have the option of cutting an "image" of the hard drive and
restoring it with a few boot floppies or using the "second instance"
method.  it sounds like you have not cut an image so here is a suggestion:

1)      rebuild the machine installing NT in a directory that is different
than where you originally installed it (e.g. c:\winnt.bak instead of c:\winnt)

2)      add all necessary drivers and format your filesystems to the
original layout and size (or larger)

3)      configure network connectivity

4)      install the adsm/tsm client and configure for your environment
(point it o the adsm server)

5)      give "write" permissions to boot.ini (attrib -r -s -h c:\boot.ini)

6)      using the gui or command line, initiate a restore of every thing
you want back

7)      reboot when the restore is complete.

everthing should be the way it was the last time it was backed up and you
can delete the directory which the second instance of NT was installed in.

~kris