ADSM-L

Re: Exchange message level backup

2000-01-07 10:28:12
Subject: Re: Exchange message level backup
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 10:28:12 -0500
Thomas,

No matter what any company/product claims...

...there still is NOT a "backup/restore" API
that works at the mailbox/item level granularity.

Even when Exchange 2000 comes out, it will NOT support
that level of granularity via the online "backup/restore" API.

The only way to do this is via non-backup/restore APIs
(like MAPI, the messaging APIs.)
Doing it through message APIs will "work" BUT
there are a number of problems with it that
have been discussed previously on this list server.
Search through prior list updates for details.

I noticed that the claim below says:
   "...no compromise in backup speed..."
How about speed of restores?

I attended the Microsoft Exchange Conference
in Atlanta this year and in various different
sessions Microsoft repeated that their
direction for dealing with the "mailbox restore problem"
will NOT be through added functionality to the
backup restore API, but by breaking the IS into
multiple databases AND by providing a "deleted mailbox"
function (similar to the "deleted item" function in 5.5.)

Thanks,

Del

Del Hoobler
Del Hoobler