ADSM-L

Re: HP-UX Bare Metal Restore

2000-01-06 17:54:53
Subject: Re: HP-UX Bare Metal Restore
From: "Kovacs, Mark" <Mark.Kovacs AT PHARMA DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 17:54:53 -0500
Michael,

        All of our mid-range servers are HP-UX, including the server ADSM
runs on !  For DR purposes, we have a cron job that build an Ignite tape
every night.  This contains VG00, which is root, /stand, /var, /opt, etc...
filesystems.  If you install ADSM using the defualts, it will reside on
filesystems located in VG00.

        As a side benifit, we also use these Ignite tapes to do a rapid
build of a new server.  We just un-plug the new box from the network,
boot/build the system from ignite tape and then modify the system name and
IP address.  We then re-connect the server to the network and re-boot it.
At that point you are ready to start the ADSM restore !  We have "built"
about a dozen new HP9000 servers in the last year using this method and
everything works well.  It also make all of our systems very standard.

mark