ADSM-L

AW: HP client oddity

2000-01-04 11:54:39
Subject: AW: HP client oddity
From: sal Salak Juraj <sal AT KEBA.CO DOT AT>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 17:54:39 +0100
Richard, Cindy,

I am afraid I disagree with your opinion
that "The timestamps on directories is not
important because directories are not data".

Metadata is data as well,
and the users/owners of it
are the only persons to
decide whether it is important or not.
Well, at least as far as they do can tell why..

For example,
we have here few tools which rely on correct
time stamps of files and directories. Even
although this concerns only
small part of our file systems,
it is still important.

Names of directories, their location and access rights
bound to them are another important meta data.
If you do not believe it, rename directories
on your file server file systems on
random basis - it still would
remain a "rather a reconstructable table" -
and wait what happens :=8)

More generally, in my understanding
it is most basic requirement for a backup/restore
service to (be able to)
a) backup the original system without changing it, and
b) restore the original system,
   w.out either information loss or change.

Cindy,

my ADSM Server is beeing rebuild
just now -thus out of service,
so I cannot check it,
but I believe that I could achieve
the directory time stamp restoration
on OS2 client
by using command line restore with
        -subdir=yes -dirsonly
parameters, while restoring into an empty place
(not over existing directory tree).
Assuming the directories to be
restored are not yet expired!

Give it a quick try if you wish,
with a bit of luck it will work for you.

Salak Juraj

KEBA AG
Softwareentwicklung Bankautomation
Gewerbepark Urfahr 14 - 16