ADSM-L

Difference between dsmlabel and internal "label volume" commands

2000-01-03 10:53:19
Subject: Difference between dsmlabel and internal "label volume" commands
From: "Purdon, James" <james_purdon AT MERCK DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 10:53:19 -0500
Hi,
   As part of our daily operations procedure, we perform a cpio-based backup
of the ADSM volume history and device configuration files to a scratch
volume which we check out of ADSM.  Lately this particular procedure has
started to fail, apparently during tape positioning. In all cases the
failure has been traced to a volume labeled using the internal "label
volume" command as opposed to the older, external "dsmlabel" command.

   Because we are a fairly old ADSM installation, we have evolved volume
labeling and check in procedures using the external dsmlabel command.  While
we would like to move to using the internal "label volume" command because
it would greatly simply the existing script (which has to delete a drive
from ADSM in order to give it to dsmlabel and then redifine it after
dsmlabel is complete), as long as it produces tapes that are not identical
to those produced by dsmlabel, we are stuck using the older external
command.

   Has anyone else noticed this problem?  Does anyone else perform tape
backups of the ADSM volume history and device cofiguration files?   If so,
what mechanism do you deploy?

Jim