ADSM-L

ANS2619S following new installation of TSM v3.7.1 client

1999-12-29 11:11:00
Subject: ANS2619S following new installation of TSM v3.7.1 client
From: Neil Schofield <Neil.Schofield AT YORKSHIREWATER.CO DOT UK>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 16:11:00 +0000
When I installed the TSM v3.7.1 client on an NT machine that had not had
any previous version of the client software installed, I got the above
error when attempting to use the web backup/archive client. I tracked down
the cause to a bug in the installation routine and thought it might be
useful to others to have the details.

A default installation installs of the NT client installs three NT
services. Two of these are called the "TSM Client Acceptor" service and the
"TSM Remote Client Agent" service. These two services are partners of each
other and reference the other by name.

When I installed the software, the "TSM Client Acceptor" service was
referencing a non-existent service called "ADSM Remote Client Agent" and
the "TSM Remote Client Agent" service was referencing an equally elusive
"ADSM Remote Client Agent".

The solution is to use the DSMCUTIL command with the /PARTNERNAME option to
change the name of the service which is referenced by each service:
DSMCUTIL UPDATE CAD /name:"TSM Client Acceptor"  /partnername:"TSM Remote
Client Agent"
DSMCUTIL UPDATE REMOTEAGENT /name:"TSM Remote Client Agent"
/partnername:"TSM Client Acceptor"

Alternatively, the parameters are actually stored in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
hive in the registry in:
System\CurrentControlSet\Services\TSM Client
Acceptor\Parameters\PartnerName and
System\CurrentControlSet\Services\TSM Remote Client
Agent\Parameters\PartnerName
and can be modified directly.

After the above modifications both services should be stopped and the TSM
Client Acceptor service re-started. The web backup/archive client should
then automatically start the partner service when it is required and the
error should not appear.

I believe the usual configuration is to change the startup of the TSM
Client Acceptor service to be Automatic and to leave the startup of the TSM
Remote Client Agent as Manual. This will allow web backup/archive clients
to connect, but leave it to the TSM Client Acceptor service to start and
stop the TSM Remote Client Agent service as required.

The information in this e-mail is confidential and may also be legally
privileged. The contents are intended for recipient only and are subject
to the legal notice available at http://www.keldagroup.com/email.htm
Kelda Group plc and its subsidiaries, UK
Registered in England and Wales No 2366627