ADSM-L

Re: Disaster Recovery

1999-12-28 12:38:23
Subject: Re: Disaster Recovery
From: Phil Bone <PBone AT AFLAC DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 12:38:23 -0500
We rotate six to eight 3590 tapes offsite daily.  On the days when
reclamation is run on the offsite tapes, the number of tapes rotated
increases significantly.

Don't forget the details with DRM, like copying the plan, volhist, and
devconfig files off to another server or removable media (they should fit
comfortably on a floppy disk; less than 200K).

Depending on how many nodes you have and how often the hardware config
changes, keeping the machine definitions accurate can be time consuming.

Most important:  Test your plan!  We are building a "desktop class" AIX
server with a single 3590 drive.  We plan to use it in our development lab,
as well as test our recovery on it.  The hardware configuration is nowhere
near that of the production server, so we know that we will have to execute
most of the recovery scripts manually.

Good luck.

Phil Bone
Sr. Systems Consultant
Network Services, Infrastructure Management
Office: 706.596.5928
Fax: 706.596.5950
Email: pbone AT aflac DOT com
Email: philbone AT mindspring DOT com