ADSM-L

Re: HELP - running out of tapes!

1999-12-23 12:11:18
Subject: Re: HELP - running out of tapes!
From: "Weeks, Debbie" <debbie AT ADMIN.USF DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 12:11:18 -0500
While reclaimation is runing do you see messages written to the activity log
indicating that the tapes are being deleted from the storage pool?  Once all
the data is moved there should be a message that the volume has been deleted
from the inventory.  This automatically returns the volume to scratch, and
it should show up by doing a q libvol as a scratch volume.

Any volumes that have been checked out of the library, for whatever reason,
and become empty due to expiration will not return to scratch until a move
command is run to delete them from the inventory.  They can then be checked
back into the library as scratch.  We just found about 300 tapes sitting on
our racks that were empty and could be reused for scratch.  (Empty volumes
have a reclaimable percentage of 0 for some reason, so they are never called
for in reclaim.)