ADSM-L

Re: ADSM/VM 3.1.2.50

1999-12-22 12:52:50
Subject: Re: ADSM/VM 3.1.2.50
From: "Wayne T. Smith" <ADSM AT MAINE DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 12:52:50 -0500
ThomasR wrote, in part..
> I've heard that ADSM/VM 3.1.2.50 is available and has to be ordered as
> PTF. Does anyone know the number of this PTF?

PTF UQ99312 may be used to order the latest RSU for ADSM/VM
3.1.2.  It is available now (about past 5 weeks as 9901RSU).  It
apparently contains only minor stuff that has been in the service
stream for many months.  I've had those fixes (that I've been able to
find on IBMLINK) on for several months and my ADSM/VM reports its
version number as 3.1.2.40.  However, the only apparently VM-
specific problems we've noticed are some warts with the CMS admin
client. All in all, it's a very stable release ... though a few Version 3.7
features do have me drooling...

o   "Backup sets" give "Instant Archive" and "Rapid Recovery" ... that
    is, ways to store information for future restore outside of *SM ...
    information that may be put back into the hands of a client
    user/department in form of a tape or CD. Super!

o   DB "out-of-band" backup (for offsite *SM recovery)

o   "No-log" DB load and audit.  In the past, it may have been faster
    to implement a new backup vendor than load/audit the *SM DB.

o   Enhanced client support.  *SM client interface still looks like a
    wart on a frog, but functionality is improved.

I'd list the new "logical volume" backup/restore (single object in *SM
DB), but it's only available for AIX/Solaris/HP-UX, with restrictions, and
seems to still require a separate backup of files for incrementals.

Maybe someday they'll do it better with caching of incremental
information on the client machine, including files/directories in a
"logical volume backup"?  Not now.

Maybe someday they'll realize we're backing up lots of production
Linux machines and will provide a client?

Happy holidays,
wayne

Wayne T. Smith                                      ADSM AT Maine DOT edu
ADSM Technical Coordinator - UNET       University of Maine System