ADSM-L

Need help with hung clients

1999-12-20 13:49:07
Subject: Need help with hung clients
From: Alan Cheski <Alan_Cheski AT GULF DOT CA>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 11:49:07 -0700
Howdy, we seem to have a great little problem that I was wondering if anyone has
experienced and may be able to offer advice on.

Anytime we have a library failure (stuck tape, changer problem), the ADSM server
eventually seems to stop responding to various requests. I can do q session and
q proc but can't do q actlog or cancel commands. The ADSM clients also hang. So
if a client is running dsmc, the dsmc process just hangs. This is no good when
you have it in a script and want the script to continue even if ADSM fails. I am
not sure how to make the client dsmc return an error after a timeout instead of
hanging. MAXCMDRETRIES and RETRYPERIOD are left to default to 2 and 20,
respectively. I have the same problem with a Version 2 client and version 3
clients. The server runs on NT 4SP5 and is v 3.1.20. Thanks for any advice you
may be able to offer.

Alan Cheski
Gulf Canada Resources