ADSM-L

Re: Antwort: Configuration Question

1999-12-17 10:02:46
Subject: Re: Antwort: Configuration Question
From: Scott Fluegge <sfluegge AT VENATORGROUP DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 10:02:46 -0500
Mecki,
     >If it is only a directory under /usr and you don't want whole /usr (or
it's
     >structure) to be backed up, you define /usr/local/Tivoli as a
VIRTUALMOUNTPOINT in     >dsm.sys and as DOMAIN in dsm.opt.

This is the part that support is making confusing.  They are telling me that
even though /usr/local/Tivoli IS a filesystem, I still need to call it a virtual
mount point because ADSM will be confused by the double reference to /usr in the
domain statement!  I tried testing it and it works as you suggest!   ARGH!

Also, a new little wrinkle...  How do you structure your domain statement?  I
was using:
     Domain                /    /usr    /home    /var    /bgs501
/usr/local/Tivoli   /sqr   /home/psoft

Then someone deleted some filesystems without telling me so my backup failed.
The log showed this:
     Successful incremental backup of '/var'
     Incremental backup of volume '//bgs501'
     Incremental backup of volume '//sqr'
     Incremental backup of volume '/home/psoft'
     Incremental backup of volume '/home/patrol'
     Successful incremental backup of '/home/patrol'

Notice the extra "/" in two of the three missing filesystems.  What is that all
about???

I then changed my domain to look like:
     Domain                /    /usr/    /home/    /var/    /bgs501/
/usr/local/Tivoli/   /sqr/   /home/psoft/

And got the following in my log:
     Incremental backup of volume '/bgs501/*'
     Incremental backup of volume '/sqr/*'
     Incremental backup of volume '/home/psoft/*'
     Incremental backup of volume '/home/patrol/*'
     Successful incremental backup of '/home/patrol/'

This time while they still failed since they were not found, ADSM did not add
any extra "/"!  Is this indicative of a problem or
is everything still OK?

Thanks for your help!
Scott

"Mecki M." <rmeschon AT OTELO.IBMMAIL DOT COM> on 12/17/99 01:35:05 AM

To:   ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc:    (bcc: Scott Fluegge/COR/MLW/US/venatorgroup)
Subject:  Antwort: Configuration Question

Hi Scott,

with AIX the DOMAIN statement is definetely to put in dsm.opt!

You define with it the filesystems you want to back up.

So, if /usr/local/Tivoli is a mounted filesystem (like in most cases) you
have to put it in there.
If it is only a directory under /usr you don't have to (if /usr is in the
statement).
If it is only a directory under /usr and you don't want whole /usr (or it's
structure) to be backed up,
you define /usr/local/Tivoli as a VIRTUALMOUNTPOINT in dsm.sys and as
DOMAIN in dsm.opt.

Regards
     Mecki