ADSM-L

ADSM system scaling

1999-12-16 10:18:22
Subject: ADSM system scaling
From: "Patten, Stacy H." <shpatten AT SAINTFRANCIS DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 09:18:22 -0600
Having never scaled an ADSM setup I would appreciate input for our
situation:

Current Hardware:
        1 - H50  -512MB / 1-300MHz
        24GB disk pool
        1 - 3494 Library w/ 3 3590 drives
        1 - ATM NIC (emulating token ring)
        1 - 100BT NIC (not currently in use)

Current Backup:
        148GB

We expect that by Dec 2000 we will be at 542GB a night.  We barely make the
current backup routines, and this number will increase to 223GB with the
addition of Exchange, SQL, and ORACLE clients.  Our backup window 10:00pm to
6am so we should have plenty of time to perform this, with the exception of
migration consuming our tape drives twice a night.  Our servers are on
different subnets, so the backup traffic goes across our ATM backbone and
back before it hits the ADSM server.  Also, most of our servers are running
100BT ether with some on 16MB token ring.  We have (over?)estimated the
following hardware setup to hopefully solve our capacity issues until at
least the end of 2000.

Proposed Hardware:
        1 - H50 - 1GB / 2-300MHz
        150GB disk pool
        1 - 3494 Library w/ 8 3590 drives
        2 - ATM NIC (emulating token ring & ethernet)

Is this enough machine?
Is this enough disk pool?
Is this enough tape drive?
Is this enough bandwidth?