ADSM-L

Re: 3590 and ADSM

1999-12-16 07:24:46
Subject: Re: 3590 and ADSM
From: Stanislav KESTER <kester AT ZELPO DOT SK>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 13:24:46 +0100
Hello !

We have 3590E models. I do now migration of data from old cartridges
3490 to new 3590. I have on one 3590 cartridge yet 12 GB of data writted
and ADSM is still writing to this tape. On indicator on 3590 user panel
is displayed, that cartridge is about 65% full.

When on cartridge was 9 GB of data, ADSM server was indicationg, that
cartrtridge is 100% full, but is writing data still ti the same
cartridge.

We have 3.1.2.20 Release of ADSM server. IBM done releasing of Release
3.1.2.40 ? I don't know this.

And I have yet one problem. Now I do migrating from 3490 cartridges to
3590. But database of ADSM server is rapidly growthing. From 700 MB by
Version 2.0 to 2 GB by Version 3.1.2.20. But data bulk is the same, how
in Version 2.0. Why database is so rapidly growthing ?

Stano

simon.s.watson AT shell.com DOT bn wrote:

> Stano,
>
> It is not all that clear from your note what hardware you have.  There
> are two 3590 drive models:
>
> - 3590B with an uncompressed capacity of 10 GB
> - 3590E with an uncompressed capacity of 20 GB.
>
> You will see much discussion on the list about people migrating to the
> newer (E) format drives.  The new drives use twice as many tracks &
> hence double the capacity.  The new drives can read tapes written on
> the old drives but not the other way around!
>
> There is no difference in the media.  The tape cartridges used by both
> drives are the same which makes life easy when upgrading.  There is
> some talk about a new tape cartridge which would effectively double the
> capacity of both the B & E model drives to 20 & 40 GB respectively.
>
> The recording format of 3590B & 3590C refers to uncompressed &
> compressed formats respectively.  Depending on your data you may get up
> to 3 times compression of the the data on a single cartridge.  (I have
> actually seen up to 8 times with Oracle exports!).  Of course if you
> use client compression you won't see any compression on the drives at
> all.  We leave all compression to the tape drive themselves.
>
> In terms of ADSM software, the only version that supports the new 3590E
> drive is 3.1.2.40 (plus some earlier patch releases which shouldn't be
> used anyway I understand).  We have just upgraded from 3.1.1.5 to
> 3.1.2.40 when we installed our new drives  & all is working fine.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> Regards,
> Simon
> ----------
> | From: kester /  mime, , , kester AT ZELPO DOT SK
> | To: ADSM-L /  mime, , , ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
> | Subject: 3590 and ADSM
> | Date: Wednesday, 15 December, 1999 9:08PM
> |
> | Hello all !
> |
> | We have buyed Magstar 3590E type cartridge. In operation manual is
> | writted, that capacity of these cartridges are 20 GB and with
> | comprimation utility 34 GB.
> |
> | I done this week migration from ADSM 2.0 server to 3.1 version of ADSM
> | server under our VM/ESA 2.3. But in Administration Reference for ADSM
> | 3.1 server is writted, that devclass for 3590 I can define how 3590B
> | (Base recording format) and 3590C (Compact Recording format). But to
> | 3590B and 3590C ADSM server 3.1 under VM/ESA 2.3 can write only 9 GB.
> | Why ? This is not corresponding with Operation manual of 3590 (20 GB).
> | ???
> |
> | And why 3590B and 3590C is both for 9 GB ?
> |
> | Stano
> | --
> | | Zeleziarne Podbrezova a.s.    Ing. Stanislav KESTER     |
> | | Ironworks  Podbrezova         system engineer           |
> | | computer centre               mailto:kester AT zelpo DOT sk    |
> [...]

*** email bol kontrolovany antivirom / email was checked by antivirus