ADSM-L

Root user using ADSM

2015-10-04 17:36:16
Subject: Root user using ADSM
From: Gerardo Zapata [mailto:gzapata AT AVANTEL DOT NET]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
I'm running the ADSM backup/archive client for HP-UX, backing up to an AIX
ADSM server. As far as I know, only a root user is able to run a succesful
backup on the client. I wouldn't like root executing the backups due to the
restricted access that we have for this user, instead I would like to create
a user able to launch the backups. I took a look at the ADSM documentation
and I found out that it is possible to create an ADSM authorized user for
this purpouse with the following properties:
   - Runs with a real uid of 0 (root)
   - Owns an executable whose owner's execution permission bit is set to s.

I'm looking for a way to avoid giving my user a real uid of 0, is there any
way to create a user that can run adsm backups without being root?

Thanks in advance
Best regards

Gerardo Zapata Gonzalez
Tivoli Professional Services/ADSM